This Monday just gone was Blue Monday. It is so called because it is meant to be the most depressing day of the year.
Dr Cliff Arnall, came up with the ‘Blue Monday formula’ more than a decade ago. Apparently, according to an article by The Metro, variables for the formula include weather conditions, debt, the end of Christmas, failed New Year’s resolutions, and low motivation levels.
However, according to The Mirror, the formula has no real science behind it and critics include The Samaritans and Mind. As Mind say, “Those of us who live with depression know that those feelings aren’t dictated by the date.” So it’s just as well support for ‘the blues’ exist all year round.
Amongst those offering support is, of course, WHISC. They offer a wealth of mental health services, support groups and classes to help us women cope. In fact, WHISC take a holistic approach to our mental health and so everything they offer has a focus on improving it. They include:
- Listening Ear: A drop-in confidential service provided by trained staff and volunteers. Discuss your thoughts and feelings with someone who will listen. Monday-Thursday, 10am-4pm.
- Mental Health Drop-In: Talk to WHISC’s mental health worker about help and support available for women experiencing mental health problems. Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11am.
- Counselling: Service offered to women aged 18+ for counselling. Sessions last 50 minutes and need to be booked in advance. There is also a short time for assessment.
- Postnatal & Perinatal Depression: Meet other mums experiencing depression or anxiety during pregnancy or following the birth of your baby. Fridays, 10-11:45am.
- Strength & Support: Open and friendly group for women who support each other and help explore strategies to help tackle depression and anxiety. Wednesdays, 2:30-4pm.
- Menopause Support Group: Support group for all issues relating to menopause. Every second Monday of the month.
- Massage – Aromatherapy, Deep Tissue, Swedish, Thai, Remedial, Indian Head Massage
- Hopi Ear Candles and Hot Stones
Exercise & Relaxation Classes
- Yoga: Exercise that focuses on strength, flexibility and breathing to boost physical and mental wellbeing. Mondays, 4:30-5:30pm and Wednesdays, 11:45am-12:45pm.
- Pilates: Exercise with an emphasis on core strength to improve general fitness and wellbeing. Thursdays, 1-2pm.
Education & Training
- Stressbusters: Aims to improve quality of life by raising self-esteem and self-confidence in a supportive and safe environment. The next course starts on Wednesday 31st January, 10-12pm.
- Women’s Health In Hard Times: Aims to give you ideas and support to keep you mentally and physically well in hard times. The next course starts on Tuesday 23rd January, 10-12pm.
- English Class (ESOL): Aims to help women feel less isolated and get on in life by helping them learn or improve their English. Fridays, 10am-12pm.
As ever, please contact WHISC for more information – and all the latest updates – about everything they do.